Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Humbled by my child

The other day I was having a horrible day. Nothing seemed to go right. The kids both have colds (which makes everybody more whinny and easily frustrated). I was short fused and trying to take things one moment at a time. Then I go to put up a new weekly schedule which I have posted on the end of a kitchen cabinet; as I am removing the old one a large piece of paint peels off of the cabinet. Out of complete frustration with nothing seeming to go right and a momentary lapse in parental judgment I angrily said "Freaking A". Caleb, who was in the living room playing at the time comes in and says, "Mom, it is not a freaking day it is a wonderful day!" I stop dead in my tracks turn to him and smile as I say, "you are right, Caleb, it is a wonderful day. It is a wonderful day because I woke up this morning with the two most wonderful kids in the world!"

I wish I could say that my attitude towards the day stayed on that note, but it didn't. Later that day as I was unloading the washing machine something else happened that was so insignificant I can't even remember what it was now, but I started to cry out of pure frustration. Caleb who was helping with the laundry as usual looks at me as says, "I wish we could have a no cry day." I say, "you want a no cry day?" He responds, "I want a mommy no cry day!" I now am crying harder, not because I am upset anymore, but because I have the sweetest almost three year old in the world! Sometimes he can be a terror when he is forcefully trying to exert his independence or detract attention away from his sister and toward himself, but underneath his terrible twos and new sibling regression he is the same amazingly sweet, helpful, sensitive, caring, and wonderful little boy he always has been! How can I be so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment